Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Further Bulletins as Events Warrant

- I just ready Ezekiel 16 for the second time, and it might be my new favorite chapter of the Bible. Like many have said, there's both art and science in communication, and the way that book tells the story of God and His people is art that touches the soul.

- And that's about as corny as this blog will ever get.

- I was thinking of sending monthly updates to people back home. I thought, yeah, I'm just going to nuclear power school, not a mission or project or ministry or anything, but if I'm supposed to live a missional life, then I should have some stuff to write about, right? Well, my average day these days is, I wake up at 5:30am, go to work, study hard until 7:30pm or so, with short lunch break, then repeat. So I don't know if I can make updates to my life any more interesting without lying shamelessly.

- My next entry will probably be on the homeless.

- If anyone has any extra Don Miller books, I'd like to have them, so send them to me. Now that I've gotten over the fact that they're just good reads and honest thoughts, rather than actual solid doctrine, I've started to enjoy them without that chip on my shoulder that precluded previous enjoyment thereof. That's what this blog is, too -- honest thoughts, not doctrine by any means.

If there's anything I would say of my approach to ministry, at least while at Rice, it would be that I keep things real. I'm nothing special at many things -- I don't have Mithun's insight or Peter's boldness or Kurt's wisdom or Pat's initiative or James's diligence or David's kindness, but I do think one thing that I bring to the table is that I try not to front. I try not to say things I don't really mean, and I try not to make empty statements. I'm not cynical -- I think what's real is that God loves us and has a wonderful plan for our lives, so that's cause to be genuinely joyful. I call people out on things, including myself. I keep things real. Or at least, I like to think so.

2 comments:

Pat Hastings said...

You're starting to reminisce already? It hasn't even been two months...

Mithun said...

Powerful chapter indeed, Matt! I've never read it in it's entirety. You can really feel the emotion behind it.

I really do appreciate your honesty. Your list of our gifts has really made me appreciate what we had at Rice, and I'm really gonna miss it (Yes, Pat, I'll reminisce too). It also makes me appreciate more and more the Church, and why we're all in this together, and how our stubborn individualism can often deprive us of the God-intended community.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your post on hobos, and don't forget to include Ezekiel 16:49.